Frequently Asked Questions
Find all the answers
In general, there is great fishing in Costa Rica year-round. Due to Costa Rica’s calm and stable weather patterns, there’s always something great to be caught at any point during the year.
The dry season (December to April) is great for fishing trips, especially offshore fishing. During this time, the weather is more predictable, and the seas are calmer, making it easier to get out to deep waters where you can catch bigger fish.
Inshore fishing is particularly great during the rainy season (May to November) as the rivers and estuaries are filled with baitfish, attracting a variety of game fish. Additionally, the rain cools the water, which can be ideal for catching certain types of fish like roosterfish and snook.
Costa Rica is home to a diverse range of fish species, both inshore and offshore. Some of the popular fish that you can catch include:
- Mahi-Mahi (also known as dorado) – These colorful and acrobatic fish are a popular catch for offshore fishing.
- Tuna – Several species of tuna can be caught, including yellow fin tuna, bigeye, and skipjack.
- Snapper – Including red snapper, cubera snapper, and dog snapper.
- Wahoo – Popular game fish found in the waters of Costa Rica, particularly in offshore fishing.
- Amberjack – Known for its strength and powerful swimming ability.
- Sea Bass (Corvina) – Popular game fish among anglers and is also prized for its culinary value.
- Roosterfish – Known for their impressive dorsal fins, roosterfish are a favorite among anglers who come for inshore fishing.
- Marlin – Black Marlin, Blue Marlin, White Marlin, and Striped Marlin can all be caught in Costa Rica’s offshore waters.
These are just a few examples of the many fish species that can be caught. Fishing enthusiasts will find plenty of opportunities to explore the country’s waters and experience the thrill of catching a variety of fish.
It’s known as one of the best fishing destinations in the world, with plenty of options for both inshore and offshore fishing. The best fishing locations largely depend on the type of fish and fishing experience you’re looking for. There are a variety of locations that cater to different preferences and fish species, but Playa Flamingo, Guanacaste is a great spot.
Contact us with the experience you’re seeking and we’ll prepare the fishing vacation of a lifetime.
Costa Rica is widely recognized as a top fishing destination, offering diverse opportunities for both inshore and offshore fishing. The country boasts a variety of fish species, including Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna, Rooster fish, Snook, and Tarpon, among others.
Beyond the abundance of fish, Costa Rica’s natural beauty and warm climate make it an ideal destination for fishing enthusiasts. The country’s coastal areas offer a range of ecosystems, including rocky shorelines, mangrove forests, and coral reefs, which provide varied fishing opportunities.
Overall, it’s a fantastic place to visit for those who enjoy fishing, with plenty of options for both experienced anglers and beginners.
The country offers a large variety of excellent fishing options. From shore fishing to deep sea fishing, Costa Rica has it all!
Contact us and we’ll help you create the ultimate fishing adventure with beautiful beaches, plenty of fish, and an amazing time.